Monday, July 29, 2013

First Time Away

Words cannot describe how I feel. I haven't had anything hit me until today. A whole tsunami of emotion has crashed over me today. I am scared, happy, excited, and anxious. I have never been away from my parents for such a long period of time and I haven't even been on the East Coast! While I'm typing this, my mom and dad are lecturing me on safety, what to pack, and where to put my things. A few days ago -- no -- a few hours ago, their nagging seemed repetitive and annoying. Now, I have a feeling I'm going to miss it.

This summer I've been a bit busy. I've finished the reading that was required. I also starred in a small theater production in Walnut Creek, which occupied the first month of my summer. I now feel even more comfortable speaking in front of people and enjoy it, which I know will help me during the program. What will also help is the few Speech and Debate practice sessions I had with the team that I will be co-president of. The fact that the current president of the club went to the Yale Young Global Scholars program under the ILC and the vice president was part of the ILC didn't hurt either. They provided me with valuable tips, tidbits, and encouragement for my study trip. The president told me that I will be "enlightened" by this experience and I can't wait.

I can't wait to go to the East Coast and learn about other cultures. I have never really gotten a chance to talk to people on an intellectual level from across the world, let alone across the country. I also haven't had much of a chance to visit colleges on the West Coast. I'm looking forward to touring colleges on the East Coast and see how they are compared to the few colleges I've visited on the West. I'm really excited. These past few days I've pretty much been relaxing. Enjoying the little time I have on the West Coast is important to me. I know I'll be coming back soon, but I don't want to miss home too much while I'm gone. 

From what I've heard, Yale looks a lot like Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Though I doubt there will be any evil wizards and soul sucking demons trying to kill me. I have a really strong feeling that I will be too busy to cast spells while running down the hallways. Instead, I will be too occupied with learning how to rule the world, as Don had put it in an e-mail sent months ago. 

Now I just rest, wait, and pack any last minute things that I have forgotten.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to say it, Damian, but you’ve already made two fatal mistakes and you’re not even on the plane. Yale doesn’t look like Hogwarts. Hogwarts looks like Yale. Yale’s been around for a couple of hundred years.

    And as for evil wizards and soul sucking demons? Where do you think they live if not at some place like Yale?

    Watch out for your immortal soul, Damian, or you could lose that, too.

    ReplyDelete